According to this infographic, enormous number of consumer brand is controlled by 10 company only.
I find this very disturbing… letting our whole live supplied by a handful of corporations.
I’ve looked at the brands listed and there were 13 products I consumed within the last week. And some of them I really like (Skippy!). On the positive side, I don’t consume too much junks (chips, sugared breakfast cereals, candies and sugared water). But I still think I have to reduce.
Here’s what I consumed:
- Schweppes – in form of soda water & ginger ale
- Kraft singles cheese
- Nestle pure life – bottled water
- Kitkats – A friend from Japan brought home the green tea one and gave one to me. I didn’t buy it.
- Gillette – how can I not use this one hmmm? I don’t want to have hairy armpit.
- Oral-B – toothbrush; is there any other alternative?
- Vaseline – the hand & body lotion
- Magnum – A friend bought the ice cream and then he joined Paleo diet and so gave the ice cream to me. I didn’t buy it.
- Knorr – convenient for soups
- Skippy – I love peanut butter! Especially the chunky one!
- Quaker oats – easy food when have no much time to cook
- A&W – we had coupons for this food-chain so we use it from time to time
- Dove – the unscented deodorant
Out of this list, I think I can easily cross out Magnum & Kitkat. I can phase out Kraft singles, A&W, Vaseline, Quaker oats, and Knorr as well. That leaves me with 5… what should I do about it?
Nestle pure life – find other brand of bottled water? Aqua (Danone), Amidis (local). Unfortunately the tap water here is not good enough for drinking, even after boiling.
Schweppes – switch to plain water or tea
Gillette – I’m not sure if there’s alternatives for this one. I used to pluck the armpit hair out but it was too time consuming and made the skin bumpy. I have an environmentalist friend, a girl, with a bushy armpit. I can’t do that.
Oral-B – choosing other brand of toothbrush will not solve anything would it?
Dove – the only one that have unscented deodorant… can’t find it anywhere else. What should I replace it with?
Skippy – I love this… especially with banana and bread…
I think my consumption level of these corporate brands are reasonably low, I’ll live with Skippy for now.