I happen to have kimchi and bitter gourd in my fridge. I googled for kimchi & bitter gourd recipes but couldn’t find any, found how to make bitter gourd kimchi instead (basically pickled bitter gourd). Inspired by this kimchi fried rice recipe, I made up my own kimchi & bitter gourd fried rice.
- oil, about 1-2 tablespoon
- garlic, 2-3 cloves
- chili, 1
- baby corn, 1
- bitter gourd, 1/3 of a medium size
- kimchi, a handful. Don’t throw away the liquid
- one day old rice, 1 bowl
- salt, pepper, soy sauce, or other flavoring of your choice
- egg (optional; omit for vegan version)
(I only cooked a plate for myself and eyeballing the amount. Adjust as necessary)
- Heat wok, add oil
- Chop/press/whizz garlic & chili. Add to the hot oil
- Slice baby corn & bitter gourd thinly. After the garlic become fragrant, add them to the wok, toss around
- Add kimchi liquid to the wok, toss around
- Slice kimchi thinly, add them to the wok, toss around
- Add seasoning
- When the bitter gourd is soft, add rice, mix well until rice is coated with kimchi liquid
- Make space on the wok. Crack egg. Scramble with rice
- Serve hot!
This fried rice turned out great! The taste is spicy, a bit sour from kimchi, and just a hint of bitterness from the bitter gourd. I think other vegetables will work too, like carrot or bell pepper.
I didn’t take any picture this time. I’ll try to remember to take picture in my next kitchen adventures.