This dish is inspired by my friend Mitra who posted about her eggplant pasta on her Facebook. Easy, very quick, & delicious!
- pasta of your choice (I used angel hair as that’s what I happen to have)
- olive oil, about 2 tablespoon
- onion, 1/4
- garlic, 2-3 cloves
- tomatoes, 2 medium size
- chili or dry chili, up to your tastebuds
- salt & pepper
- Italian herbs of your choice
- eggplant, 1 medium size
- broccoli florets, about half a cup
- optional: flaxseed oil, cheese
I was only cooking for myself and as always kinda eyeballing the amount of ingredients. Adjust as necessary.
- Boil water in a deep enough saucepan for your pasta, cook pasta according to instruction
- While cooking the pasta, 2-3 minutes towards the end of cooking time, throw in broccoli florets too. I like my broccoli bright green and crunchy so I only boil it very quickly. *I used angel hair and it took only 2 minutes to cook so I started with step 3 first.
- While cooking the pasta, heat pan, add half of the olive oil
- Cut eggplant into 1 cm thick slices, pan fry, turn them after a while
- While pasta is cooking and eggplant is frying, roughly puree tomato, garlic, & chili. Chop onion.
- When eggplant is soft, set aside.
- Use the same pan, add the rest of the olive oil
- Saute onion until transluscent & fragrant
- Add the tomato garlic chili mixture, mix around & let it boil. The tomato mixture will change color from pinkish towards orange
- Season with salt, pepper, and herbs
- Add eggplant in the sauce
- When pasta & broccoli is ready, drain, reserving a little of pasta water
- Add pasta & broccoli in the pan, mix. If it’s too dry, add a bit pasta water
- Check for taste and adjust seasoning as necessary
- Optional: drizzle flaxseed oil, grate cheese on top
- Serve immediately!